"It takes the simplicity of a child to teach us the most obvious lesson. Evander was right. Sometimes we can just start over."
- ―Zeus in "Full Circle"
Zeus in the HTLJ:Full Circle
|Portrayed By|| Anthony Quinn|
|Series||HTLJ, XWP, YH|
|First Appearance||Hercules and the Amazon Women|
|Last Appearance||XWP: "God Fearing Child"|
|Also Known As|| God of lightning and thunder|
King of the Olympians
King of the Gods
|Cause of Death||Stabbed with Rib of Kronos|
|Romances||Hera, Demeter, Alcmene, Leda of Sparta, Leucosia, Lysia|
|Sister(s)||Hera, Demeter, Hestia|
|Son(s)||Ares, Hephaestus, Apollo, Hermes, Bacchus, Hercules, Gryphus, Lucius, Castor, Pollux|
|Daughter(s)||Discord, Aphrodite, Athena, Artemis, Persephone|
|Other Family||Uranus (grandfather), Gaea (grandmother), Deimos (grandson by Ares and Aphrodite), Evander (grandson by Ares and Nemesis), The Destroyer (grandson by Ares and Hope), Hippolyta (granddaughter by Ares), Autolycus (grandson by Hermes), Fortune (granddaughter by Aphrodite and Hermes), Strife (grandson by Discord), Cupid (grandson by Aphrodite and Hephaestus), Deon (grandson by Aphrodite and Jacobus), Psyche (granddaughter-in-law), Bliss (great-grandson), Holidus (son-in-law), Theseus (grandson-in-law), Hippolytus (great-grandson), Deianeira (daughter-in-law), Klonus (grandson by Hercules and Deianeira), Aeson (grandson by Hercules and Deianeira), Ilea (granddaughter by Hercules and Deianeira), Polyphemus (nephew), Triton (nephew), Nautica (great-neice), Iolaus II (great-nephew-in-law), Nemesis ("daughter-in-law"/mother of Evander), Hope ("daughter-in-law"/Mother Of The Destroyer), Dahak ("brother-in-law"/maternal grandfather of The Destroyer), Gabrielle ("sister-in-law"/maternal grandmother of The Destroyer), Herodotus ("father-in-law"/paternal-maternal great-grandfather of The Destroyer), Hecuba ("mother-in-law"/maternal-maternal great-grandmother of The Destroyer), Lila ("cousin-in-law"/great-aunt of The Destroyer)|
Zeus was the powerful king of the Olympian gods and the God of lightning and thunder. His father, Kronos, was king of the Titans and when Kronos feared one of his children would steal his throne he began to swallow each of His newborn children. Zeus' mother, Rhea, saved Zeus from this fate. In turn, Zeus freed his siblings from their imprisonment and declared war on Kronos and anyone who supported him in an event that came to be called the Titanomachy. With the Help of the Ribs of Kronos Zeus killed his father and took his place as King of the Gods.
Zeus married his sister Hera who became queen of the Olympians. Zeus was a great lover of mortal women. He took many human sexual partners and thus fathered many half-gods. Sometimes, he would take the form of a mortal man or of an animal when he visited his mortal women. For example, when he fathered Hercules with Alcmene he took the form of Alcmene's dead husband Amphitryon.
Zeus is probably the most powerful god ever seen in the series. He is capable of manipulating, giving and removing the powers of other gods, altering his appearance, teleportation, immortality and manipulating lightning even at a distance. He has been seen capable of destroying Hera, dispersing her molecules.
Zeus's signature weapons are thunderbolts and lightning in all its forms. Although lightning is occasionally used by other gods, Zeus exclusively uses it, and is more proficient with it than any of the others.
Immortality: all Gods has the ability to live infinite life span as well as immunity to all sorts of diseases.
Invincibility: As the most powerful of all the Olympian Gods Zeus is invincible to all sorts of weapons (swords,axes,crossbows) as well as all magical powers from the Gods.
Atmokinesis: All Olympians has the power to control and manipulate the weather bring out storms , tornadoes ,rains and Lightning.
Healing: Zeus as the most powerful of all Olympians has the ability to heal wounds but he can't heal mortal wounds , the rest of the Gods has to blessed by his or Athena's blessings to do so .
Lightning/lightning Bolts: Zeus has the power to control and shoot very powerful lightning by throwing it from his hands.
Pyrokinesis: Zeus has the power to control and manipulate fire whether by throwing Fire or Fireballs
Teleportation: Zeus has the ability to teleport to any place whatever he sees fit by turning into lightning either on earth or Olympus.
Superhuman Strength: Zeus as the most powerful of all Olympians can send people flying as well as gods.
Telekinesis: Zeus has the ability to move objects & mortals with his mind.
Divine Magic: Being the most powerful of all Gods Zeus the powerful Divine powers like:
- Reality warping: Zeus along with Hera created all mortals and most if not all things as Hera Said, Zeus can do almost anything he desires.
- Removal&Bestowal All Godly powers: Zeus being the most powerful of all Olympians has the powers to give and remove all sorts of Magical powers the Gods Have.
- Portal Creation: Zeus has the power to create portals leading to other Dimensions.
- Mind Control: Zeus has the power to control people's mind.
- Illusions: Zeus has the power to create Illusions.
- Conjuration; Zeus has the power to conjure anything and any power in existence except bringing mortals back from the dead although he can do this with help of Hera
- Power to kill Gods: Zeus being the most powerful of all Gods has the power to kill them as proved by Killing Hera herself
- Shapeshifting: Zeus has the power to alter his appearance so that he can look like any one he desires
Time Manipulation: All Gods has the power to manipulate time whether can travel back & forward in time or freezing time itself but they need Zeus's consent first.
Invisibility: All Gods have the power to make themselves invisible to all mortals they can't be seen or heard by them.
- Along with Hercules, Iolaus and Hera, Zeus is one of four characters to appear in both Hercules and the Amazon Women and Full Circle. Along with Hera, he also appears in Hercules's final appearance in God Fearing Child.
- Of all the Olympians shown in the Xenaverse, Zeus's portrayal is generally the most consistent with his mythological counterpart: aloof yet outrageous, neutral but with a love of humanity, practically all-knowing and nearly omnipotent.
- Zeus's role as an advisor and mentor to Hercules in the telemovies properly belongs to Athena in mythology. This portrayal is also directly at odds with his portrayal in both HTLJ and YH, where he is very aloof, with Hercules rarely seeing him and deeply resenting his absence.
- Anthony Quinn portrayed Zeus in the Hercules telemovies. Peter Vere-Jones played him in "Judgment Day," while Roy Dotrice took over the role at the end of Season 4. Charles Keating played Zeus on the final episode of Hercules and in "God Fearing Child." John Bach played him in the Young Hercules episode "Valley of the Shadow." His voice actor in Hercules and Xena - The Animated Movie: The Battle for Mount Olympus was Peter Rowley.