Strife on Ares' throne
|Portrayed By||Joel Tobeck|
|Series|| Hercules: The Legendary Journeys|
|First Appearance|| "Encounter" (HTLJ)|
"The Treasure of Zeus: Part 1" (YH)
|Last Appearance|| "Yes, Virginia, There is a Hercules" (HTLJ)|
|Status||Unknown, possibly alive|
|Residence||Greece, Mount Olympus|
|Also Known As||God of Skirmishes, Nysus Gaius|
|Cause of Death||stabbed with the Hind's Blood Dagger|
|Affiliations||Ares, Discord, Mount Olympus|
|Other Family||Deimos (cousin), Ares (uncle)|
Being a lesser god, Strife constantly tried to prove himself to his "Uncle Ares" by helping him in his various plots as well as his schemes to kill or hurt Hercules. It had been revealed that if Ares were to ever die or become mortal, Strife would move up in the hierarchy as God of War though he constantly batted with Discord for the position.
Strife was one of the first gods that Young Hercules had to deal with during his time as a teenager, though Hercules defeated him each and every time.
Strife was a trickster. He often took the form of mortals to cause strife. He took the form of an Agitator to stir villagers against the last Golden Hind when he knew that Hercules was in love with her. Later, he lured Hercules' son Aeson out of the Elysian Fields and into Tartarus. There, he chained the boy and took his form to try to hurt Hercules (HTLJ "When a Man Loves a Woman").
Strife's one great accomplishment came when he murdered Hercules' wife Serena. With help from Morpheus he was able to enter the hero's dreams causing Hercules to kill Serena in his sleep (HTLJ "Judgment Day").
When Hercules used the Kronos Stone to go back in time, Strife tried to kill the hero with an arrow covered in the blood of a Golden Hind. Strife's aim was good and Hercules was taken down by the arrow but survived. Luckily, Serena was nearby and was able to use her powers to heal Hercules (HTLJ "The End of the Beginning").
- In one episode of Young Hercules, Strife mentions that Discord is a millennium older than he.
- In the episode "Yes, Virginia, there is a Hercules", which takes place in 1998, Strife and Ares talk to Hercules with whom they still seem to have a difficult relationship. Earlier in this episode, they had caused an earthquake to distract Hercules and keep him from shooting his series Hercules' Legendary Journeys, which recounts his adventures in the old times. They also mention Zeus not liking actors. It is a moral certainty that either Strife and Zeus (and very possibly the other gods as well) were resurrected shortly after their deaths, or that they were never killed in the first place (those events only being a made-up story-line for the TV series Hercules shot and the Xena spin-off).
- In Greek mythology, Eris was the Greek goddess of chaos, Strife, and Discord.
Strife wears a complete outfit made of black leather and what looks like silver safety pins holding it together. What little skin shows is extremely pale. He has short spiked and messy black hair and very pale blue eyes. In the series Young Hercules, in the first episode, he takes the form of Nysus Gaius in which his clothing changes completely. He wears a gray tail-jacket, a sleeveless orange shirt with dark orange stripes, and a gray pair of pants with a brown, leather belt. His hair is not messy and spiky, but combed to the side elegantly with only a few locks falling above his right eye.
- Can shoot blasts out of his hands - (1.02 - Between Friends)
- Can change his clothes/hair at will - (1.02 - Between Friends)
- Telekinesis - can levitate and throw tables with his mind - (1.02 - Between Friends)
- Teleportation - can vanish from one place and reappear in another - (1.02 - Between Friends)
- Shapeshifting - (1.11 - Battle Lines I, 1.12 - Battle Lines II)
- Can appear in two places at once - (1.30 - The Golden Bow)
As a lesser God & the personification of Strife ,struggle and bitter conflict strife has the basic range of Godly powers like:
Immortality: Strife has the ability to live infinite life span as well as immunity to all sorts of diseases.
Invincibility: Strife is invincible to all sorts of weapons (swords,axes,crossbows) as well as all magical powers from the Gods although these powers can hurt him but not kill him.
Atmokinesis: All Olympians has the power to control and manipulate the weather bring out storms , tornadoes ,rains and Lightning.
Healing: Strife has the ability to heal wounds but he can't heal mortal wounds , Strife as well as the rest of the Gods has to be blessed by Zeus Himself or Athena's blessings to do so.
Pyrokinesis: Strife has the power to control and manipulate fire by throwing it from his hands as well as creating Fire balls.
Portal creation: Strife has the power to create portals to other Dimensions as well as controlling the worlds he creates.
Conjuration: Strife has the powers to conjure anything or any being he wants.
Teleportation: Strife has the ability to teleport to any place whatever he sees fit either on earth or Olympus.
Superhuman Strength: Strife super strength can send people flying as well as gods his strength is equally as powerful as Discord , Deimos as well as lesser Gods but inferior to that of Hercules& Ares as well as that of Athena and Zeus.
Energy Blasts: Strife has the power to shoot blue Energy blast capable of killing mortals and hurting Gods.
Time Manipulation: All Gods has the power to manipulate time by travel back & forward as well as freezing time itself but they need Zeus's consent first.
Invisibility: All Gods have the power to make themselves invisible to all mortals they can't be seen or heard by them.
Telekinesis: Strife has the ability to move objects & mortals with his mind.
Lightning: Strife has the power to shoot powerful arcs of electricity/lightning capable of killing mortals & hurting Gods.
Shapeshifting: Strife has the alter his appearance to take whatever form he likes whether mortals or monsters or Gods.
Strife/conflict&struggle between Mortals: Strife has the ability to cause conflict &struggle between mortals so that they misjudge a situation or always disagrees and cause conflict as well as committing an act of violence.