Gabrielle with her fighting staff, in "A Good Day"
|Country of Origin||Chin|
In real life, the staff is considered by most martial experts to be the best melee weapon in a one-on-one fight due to its mix of speed, unpredictability and versatility, even when compared to swords, spears, and the like.
In addition to its effectiveness as a weapon, the staff is an unassuming implement, appearing unimposing and non-threatening due to its lack of blades or sharp points. While a highly effective weapon in the right hands, the staff has utility as well, functioning as a makeshift lever, a walking stick, or providing extra reach for prodding or snagging distant items.
Finally, a person skilled in the use of a staff as a weapon can easily find makeshift weapons if necessary, from broomsticks to fallen branches and training in the use of a staff also provides cross-training into other pole weapons such as spears and halberds.
- Xena (Seen in many episodes, E.g. "Sins of the Past")
- Gabrielle (Season One - Season Four: Seen to use it in a few other episodes after this such as "Amphipolis Under Siege" in which she used a warhammer-staff, "Succession", and used a staff-like-rod against Draco in "Lyre, Lyre Hearts On Fire")
- Draco (X:WP: "Sins of the Past")
- Mavican (Claims that she has 'Perfected the Art' - X:WP: "Succession")
- Ephiny (Gives Gabrielle a staff that has 'Saved her life more than once and that was passed down from her mother' - X:WP: "Hooves and Harlots")
- Callisto (X:WP: "Callisto")
Also used in young hercules by:
- Part of Weapons Training at the Academy
- Used both with and without padded ends.
- Used with Vertical Poles, Elevated Lattice, or Balance Beam to teach a cadet balance on uncertain terrain.
- Seen in 1.02 - Between Friends, 1.06 - Teacher's Pests, 1.20 - Fame, 1.39 - The Skeptic.
- A quarterstaff (plural quarterstaves), also short staff or simply staff is a traditional European pole weapon and a technique of stick fighting, especially as in use in England during the Early Modern period. The term is generally accepted to refer to a shaft of hardwood from 6 to 9 feet (1.8 to 2.7 m) long, sometimes with a metal tip, ferrule, or spike at one or both ends. The term "short staff" compares this to the "long staff" based on the pike with a length in excess of 11 to 12 feet (3.4 to 3.7 m).
Similar or Derived WeaponsEdit
Gabrielle also used a microphone stand against Ares in the episode "Soul Possession" in the body of Mattie when she regained her memories, which could be considered similar to how she used to use her staff, however Ares threw her into some chairs.