Stephen Lovatt as Hades, attempting to kill Eve in, "Motherhood" (XWP)
|Portrayed By|| Mark Ferguson|
|Series|| Hercules: The Legendary Journeys|
Xena: Warrior Princess
|First Appearance|| Hercules in the Underworld|
The Other Side (HTLJ)
Death in Chains (XWP)
A Lady in Hades (YH)
|Last Appearance|| Not Fade Away (HTLJ)|
A Lady in Hades (YH)
|Status||Alive (HTLJ)/Deceased (XWP)|
|Also Known As||King of the Underworld, Lord of the Dead|
|Cause of Death||Set on fire|
|Affiliations||Celesta, Persephone, Underworld|
Hades, God of the Underworld , Afterlife, Wealth,Riches, Grief, Necromancy and Lord of the Dead is a recurring character on Hercules: The Legendary Journeys, Xena: Warrior Princess and Young Hercules. He is the brother of Zeus and Poseidon, as well as ruled the Underworld. He tended to the souls of the dead. His sister is Celesta.
When Cerberus got loose and was wreaking havoc in the Underworld, Hades made a deal with Hercules that he could take his wife, Deianeira, back to the land of the living if he caught Cerberus. Hercules did so in (Hercules in the Underworld).
Hades was in love with Persephone, the daughter of Demeter. However, Demeter did not approve of Hades. When Hades became frustrated with Demeter's interference, he "kidnapped" Persephone and brought her to the Underworld. Demeter was furious. She caused a winter storm which killed many crops and people in the land of the living. She asked for Hercules' help to go to the Underworld and retrieve Persephone. Hercules discovered that Persephone had not been taken against her will. She was in love with Hades. Hercules negotiated a deal wherein Persephone would spend half the year with Hades and the other half with Demeter (HTLJ "The Other Side").
Feeling that Hercules owed him because he missed Persephone during her time away from the Underworld, Hades asked the hero to assist when Sisyphus tricked Timuron into taking his place in Tartarus. Hades gave Hercules three days to bring the real Sisyphus to the Underworld. He told the hero he couldn't do it himself because he was too busy as Zeus had cut his staff to two and Ares was sending numerous dead from the Thracian Wars. Once Hercules managed to get Sisyphus to the Underworld Hades agreed to let Timuron have 24 hours of life so he could say goodbye to his wife, Daphne (HTLJ "Highway to Hades").
When Iolaus was killed by the Enforcer II, Hades agreed to let Hercules take Iolaus back to the land of the living if he could defeat the Enforcer II by sunset. The other condition of the bargain was that Hercules had to take the original Enforcer with him so that she could prove herself worthy of either the Elysian Fields or Tartarus (HTLJ "Not Fade Away").
Hades seems to one of the respectable members of the Olympian Pantheon.
Hades is one of the most powerful Greek gods. He can teleport, throw fire balls, throw green energy blasts, lightning bolts, kill a mortal, wipe out memories, conjuration, Shapeshift, create windows to oversee people in the underworld, has super strength, can go back through time ("Armageddon Now"), he has the power of healing ("Motherhood"), become invisible, reanimate and resurrect mortals. He possesses the Helmet Of Hades that can turn someone invisible, even to gods. When gods are in the underworld, they lose their powers ("God Fearing Child" and "The Other Side"). Demeter told Hercules that he has commands on demons, ghosts and monsters that serve him.
Being the God/Ruler of the Other side/the underworld and one of the most powerful of all the Olympians second only to Zeus & on par with Hera & poseidon.
Immortality: Hades has the ability to live infinite life span as well as immunity to all sorts of diseases.
Invincibility: Hades is invincible to all sorts of weapons (swords,axes,crossbows) as well as all magical powers from the Gods although these powers can hurt him but not kill him.
Atmokinesis: All Olympians has the power to control and manipulate the weather bring out storms , tornadoes ,rains and Lightning.
Healing: Hades has the ability to heal wounds but he can't heal mortal wounds , Hades as well as the rest of the Gods has to be blessed by Zeus Himself or Athena's blessings to do so.
Pyrokinesis: Hades has the power to control and manipulate fire by throwing it from his hands as well as creating very powerful Fire balls capable of hurting Gods and killing mortals .
Teleportation: Hades has the ability to teleport to any place whatever he sees fit either on earth or Olympus & the Underworld.
Superhuman Strength: Hades's super strength can send people flying as well as gods his strength is more powerful than Discord and Deimos as well as lesser Gods but equally as powerful as Hercules & Ares but inferior to that of Athena and Zeus.
Energy Blasts: Hades has the power to shoot powerful green Energy blast capable of killing mortals and hurting Gods.
Time Manipulation: All Gods has the power to manipulate time by travel back & forward as well as freezing time itself but they need Zeus's consent first.
Invisibility: All Gods have the power to make themselves invisible to all mortals they can't be seen or heard by them plus Hades has the helmet of invisibility which can make him invisible even to Gods .
Lightning: Hades has the power to shoot powerful arcs of electricity/lightning capable of killing mortals & hurting Gods.
Telekinesis: Hades has the ability to move objects & mortals with his mind.
Shapeshifting: Hades has the alter his appearance to take whatever form he likes whether mortals or monsters or Gods.
Divine Powers: Hades being of the most powerful of all the Olympians he posses range of Divine abilities like:
- Reality warping: Hades Had the ability to manipulate Reality and do almost whatever he wants he used this ability to create entire underworld whether the Elysian Fields, Tartarus & the Asphodel Meadows as well as creating Beings like Demons , Ghost & Monsters like Harpies.
- Touch Necrosis/Necromancy: Like his sister Hades has the power to touch mortals and they instantly dies.
- Collecting Souls/Necromancy: Like his sister Hades has the power to collect the Souls of the Deceased Mortals who's Rightful time had come like when Deianeira died the first time he told Hercules that he collected her deceased Body from the Rocks himself to the Underworld.
- Resurrection: Hades has the power to bring all mortals who had died back from the dead he is the only God capable of doing so, even Zeus & Hera can't Resurrect any Mortal they have to combine their Strength to do so Ares as well able to Resurrect Mortals like his Uncle.
- Power Negation: At the underworld Hades has the power to negate all Godly powers from the Gods that teleport to the underworld.
- Power to create Poisonous Green Snakes: Hades has the power to create Poisonous Snakes that has the power to suppress all Godly powers when Bind by them and make a God powerless until he is freed from them.
- Portal creation: Hades has the power to create portals to other Dimensions as well as controlling the worlds he creates.
- Magical Windows: Hades can create magical windows to oversees all mortals in the underworld whether if they at the Elysian fields or Tartarus .
- Conjuration: Hades has the the power to conjure anything he wants like objects and beings.
- Memory Manipulation: Hades has the power to wipe out all memories or certain ones of all mortals whether who died or still alive.
- Absorption: Hades has the ability to absorb people whether from the Elysian Fields or Tartarus like when he absorbed Hercules from Tartarus in order to save him.
Being the God/Ruler of the Other side/the underworld and one of the most powerful of all the Olympians Hades has Demons ,Ghosts and Monsters who serve him.
It appears that Hades and Mephistopheles knows one another Because when Mortals commit unspeakable & Deadly crimes Hades find Tarturas itself too good for them so he sends them to Mephistopheles directly to be punished in Hell itself.